Spartans place second

----BLOOMINGTON----

Every once in a great while, there comes along a player that defines what grit and determination is all about.

For the St. Joseph-Ogden Spartans, that player is senior Brandon Trimble, who is setting records as he moves along in his final season of what has been a storied career.

Trimble scored 51 points in a losing effort for the Spartans, as they fell in the championship game of the small school 81-73 to the Raiders of Quincy Notre Dame on Friday afternoon at the Shirk Center on the campus of Illinois Wesleyan University.

Trimble, who already had 29 points by the half, scored at will on the Raiders, keeping the Spartans in the game for the duration of the contest.  Just three SJO players scored in the game, with junior Jordan Brooks scoring 21 points, while Austin Cain added a free throw late in the game.

The Raiders jumped on top at the end of the first quarter 20-16, and maintained a slim two-point margin at 40-38 going into the halftime locker room.  Quincy extended their lead to double digits heading into the fourth quarter, but it was Brooks that brought the Spartans back with a three pointer as time expired at the end of the third stanza.

Trimble broke the tournament record of total points scored, totaling 162 over the four games and shattering the old record, which was 135 and set by Aaron Simpson of North Chicago back in 2011.  Trimble had the record at the end of the third quarter, and was recognized for that feat over the public address system at the Shirk Center.

However, the Spartans fought hard, but couldn’t overcome the size of the Raiders, and ultimately fell.  SJO falls to 11-3 with the loss, and finish with the highest placing in their tournament history.  The Spartans finished third in 2006 and 2011, and captured the consolation championship in 2010 and 2012.

Quincy Notre Dame, who improves to 11-1 with the win, was led in scoring by Carter Cramsey, who had 17 points.  Justin Bottorff added 15, while Jacob Mayfield chipped in 11 for the Raiders, who won their second consecutive small school division championship with this year’s title.

The Spartans will have a week off to recuperate before beginning their final season of  Okaw Conference play when they travel to Tolono to play neighboring rival Unity on Friday, January 6th.  The junior varsity contest will begin at 6:00, followed by varsity action at approximately 7:30.

Comments

The Leader embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

sanjeev11 wrote on January 15, 2017 at 3:01 am

here is the best collection of all Hollywood and Bollywood movies thanks for sharing this article and you may also watch here in this article and all post of this article very classic and fantastic Watch Bollywood Movies Online

nora283 wrote on January 18, 2017 at 7:01 am

Every team has a player like this, one that makes all tournaments worth watching. More so, the other team players are determined to improve their skills with every game they play. After the tournament is over, some of them probably take their Golf equipment Deerfield beach and head to the golf course to relax and recharge their batteries. The more they practice, the better they play!

nivin wrote on February 19, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Instead of surfing through all the movie sites, you can install an app on your phone. Megabox hd app has all the collection of movies and shows you can install that from http://megaboxhdappapk.com

bittu4710 wrote on April 22, 2017 at 2:04 am

Install this app on your phone and without worrying watch free movies online. Checkout http://kissanimemobileapp.com/

jamsmalik12 wrote on May 09, 2017 at 2:05 am

Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. stock lists

jamsmalik12 wrote on May 15, 2017 at 1:05 am

This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well..promotions

jamsmalik12 wrote on May 15, 2017 at 3:05 am

I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information? Hundred Palms Residences

jamsmalik12 wrote on May 17, 2017 at 2:05 am

I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. residual income business opportunity

jamsmalik12 wrote on June 16, 2017 at 10:06 am

Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work. Pain Relief For Gout

jamsmalik12 wrote on June 17, 2017 at 6:06 am

including reasonable comments here... oral allergy syndrome

jamsmalik12 wrote on June 17, 2017 at 9:06 am

I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks
thetarotist.com

jamsmalik12 wrote on June 20, 2017 at 2:06 am

I have not any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. view criminal records for free

gaminghera wrote on April 28, 2017 at 3:04 am
jamsmalik12 wrote on May 05, 2017 at 6:05 am

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.!
shopping

RichardByer wrote on May 07, 2017 at 2:05 am

This match is totally unbelievable for me because I did not expect that how can the opponent team win the match. But the match was so interesting and one of the best matches that I have seen in my life. I really enjoyed this match so much with best essay service that is the best tool to manage all kind of writing task.

gaminghera wrote on May 08, 2017 at 11:05 pm

check this for courier service Professional courier Tracking

jamsmalik12 wrote on May 11, 2017 at 2:05 am

Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post! shopping

amber5555 wrote on June 09, 2017 at 12:06 pm