Meeker wins state title

Following your dreams can lead to big rewards.  Just ask St. Joseph-Ogden’s Griffin Meeker, who is living proof of that statement.

Meeker, who suffered a shoulder injury earlier in the season, weathered that storm with perseverance, and culminated an absolutely stellar wrestling season, winning the 2017 IHSA Class 1A State Championship 182-pound class in a 12-6 decision on Saturday evening at the State Farm Center on the University of Illinois campus.

Meeker’s opponent in the finals was a familiar face, Logan Winter of Clinton, who had defeated Meeker one week ago in the sectional final, something that was in the back of his mind ever since the defeat last week.

“I’ve pictured this moment every day this year, and I didn’t know who I’d be wrestling, but I definitely have thought about what it would be like to be called a state champion.  Logan (Winter) is a class act, and after he beat me in the sectional, I knew I’d need to work that much harder to beat him, because I knew I would face him again this weekend,” an ecstatic Meeker said following his win.

Meeker becomes just the second state champion in wrestling at SJO, following Wesley Kibler, who won the 195-pound title in 2015.  But the road that Meeker has taken to get to this point would deter almost 99.9% of anybody else.

Meeker has dealt with the shoulder injury for a majority of the season, and came back at the regional, almost two weeks ahead of schedule, thanks in part to some aggressive therapy that required several long drives for treatment.

Meeker’s coach and father, J.R., agrees that Griffin has endured a lot on his journey to the pinnacle of IHSA state wrestling, but also knows that everything that he has gone through has been worth every minute.

“It meant a lot for him to even get to that match with his injury, and to do what he did with the type of injury speaks volumes,"  the elder Meeker said on his son’s determination toward the ultimate prize.

Meeker has been wrestling since the age of five, and he said that he has been dreaming of this goal for a long time.

“I’ve had this goal of being a state champion for as long as I could walk, and making state all four years has finally paid off in a big way,"  Meeker added about the long-range goal that he has finally achieved.

Meeker was not the only Spartan grappler to reach the medal stand, as junior Jason Bowman placed sixth overall in the 170-pound class.  Bowman lost his first match on Saturday by a 13-1 major decision to Rahveon Valentine of Lena-Winslow-Stockton to move to the fifth place match.  Bowman then lost a tough 2-0 decision to Tyler Rolling of Sherrard to place sixth overall.

Mission accomplished, Griffin.

Categories (3):Prep Sports, Wrestling, Sports

Comments

The Leader embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

buyfansmedia wrote on March 12, 2017 at 2:03 pm

The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing.. Sarm

jamsmalik wrote on March 16, 2017 at 5:03 pm

This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. tax id

buyfansmedia wrote on March 19, 2017 at 8:03 am

Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. website

jamsmalik wrote on March 20, 2017 at 4:03 am

I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. Theme Dojo

buyfansmedia wrote on March 20, 2017 at 4:03 am

This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.. carros usados rd

jamsmalik wrote on March 20, 2017 at 9:03 am

Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. ThemeDojo

buyfansmedia wrote on March 22, 2017 at 6:03 am

Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!. Marbella villas

buyfansmedia wrote on March 23, 2017 at 3:03 am

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well. stump removal omaha

buyfansmedia wrote on March 24, 2017 at 3:03 am

You have a good point here!I totally agree with what you have said!!Thanks for sharing your views...hope more people will read this article!!!
bizzkom.com

robinjack wrote 1 day 10 hours ago
Profile Picture

Are Citation and Trust flow metrics really a necessary statistic?There was a time when SEO was at a nascent stage and primary metrics such as Google Page Rank mattered a lot in SEOToday, SEO has advanced far beyond the domain of Page Rank and as such, secondary metrics such as trust flow, domain authority, citation flow, etc., have taken over Google Page Rank in terms of importance as far as ranking in Google is concerned. buy high trust flow backlinks

robinjack wrote 1 day 5 hours ago
Profile Picture

Love what you're doing here folks, keep it up!.. versace man bag

robinjack wrote 10 hours 40 min ago
Profile Picture

I can set up my new thought from this post. It gives top to bottom data. A debt of gratitude is in order for this significant data for all,.. emergency plumbing

robinjack wrote 9 hours 15 min ago
Profile Picture

Much thanks for composing such an intriguing article on this point. This has truly made me think and I plan to peruse more. artetfacts.com/eboutique/13_borsalino

robinjack wrote 9 hours 15 min ago
Profile Picture

robinjack wrote 7 hours 52 min ago
Profile Picture

health insurance in Malaysia Astounding .. Astonishing .. I'll bookmark your web journal and take the bolsters additionally… I'm upbeat to discover such a large number of valuable information here in the post, we require work out more methods in such manner, a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing. Aetna International

robinjack wrote 7 hours 19 min ago
Profile Picture

I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to investigate and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge. evergreensystem erfahrung

Event Calendar